CAIRO, EGYPT - Hosni Mubarak, the Egyptian president, has announced in a televised address that he will not run for re-election but refused to step down from office - the central demand of millions of protesters who have demonstrated across Egypt over the past week. He seemed largely unfazed by the protests during his recorded address, which aired at 11pm local time on Tuesday. Mubarak mentioned them at the beginning of his speech, and said that "the young people" have the right to peaceful demonstrations. But his tone quickly turned accusatory, saying the protesters had been "taken advantage of" by people trying to "undermine the government".
Shortly after Mubarak's speech clashes broke out between pro and anti-government protesters in Mahatit Masr square in the port city of Alexandria, Al Jazeera's correspondent there reported. His announcement follows a week of protests, in which millions of people have taken to the streets in Cairo and elsewhere. In his address Mubarak said he never intended to run for re-election. "I will use the remaining months of my term in office to fill the peoples' demands," he said. That would leave Mubarak in charge of overseeing a transitional government until the next presidential election, currently scheduled for September. He promised reforms to the constitution, particularly article 76, which makes it virtually impossible for independent candidates to run for office. And he said his government would focus on improving the economy and providing jobs. "My new government will be responsive to the needs of young people," he said. "It will fulfil those legitimate demands and help the return of stability and security." Mubarak also made a point of saying that he would "die in this land" - a message to protesters that he did not plan to flee into exile like recently deposed Tunisian president, Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.
None of the protesters interviewed earlier today said they would accept Mubarak finishing his term in office. "He needs to leave now," Hassan Moussa said in Tahrir Square hours before Mubarak's announcement. "We won't accept him leaving in September, or handing power to [newly-installed vice president] Omar Suleiman. He needs to leave now." So the protests continue to feel like a waiting game – as if Mubarak is hoping to simply outlast the crowds amassed downtown. "When the people of a nation decide something, then it will happen," said Abdullah Said Ahmed, a student from Al-Azhar University. "The United States chooses its leaders. We're going to choose ours. Our patience can do anything." "I'll stay here until I die or until the system changes," said Saber Shanan. Mubarak's announcement comes after pressure from the US, which urged him not to seek re-election. Frank Wisner, a former ambassador to Egypt, met Mubarak on Monday and reportedly told him not to extend his time in office. | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Mubarak to stay on till election
TOP Ten Minggu INI
-
Ucapan perbahasan menjunjung titah Yang Dipertuan Agong oleh Ketua Pembangkang yang disampaikan Ahli Parlimen Machang, Saifuddin Nasution h...
-
1. Bulu kening - Menurut Bukhari, Rasullulah melaknat perempuan yang mencukur atau menipiskan bulu kening atau meminta supaya dicukurkan bul...
-
[By Our Guest Writer from Asian Tatler Magazine] Mixing business with partying – an example for Sarawak’s womanhood?
-
Statement isteri Rosmah al gampangi
-
Dua hari ini aku cukup gembira kerana ingat simpan filem porno itu halal .. rupanya haram .. Wakakakak !!! Bangang !
-
A hli Parlimen Teluk Intan M Manogaran (kiri) dari DAP dan aktivis MS Arjunan (kanan) yang mengadakan protes membantah novel kontroversial I...
-
Usaha sebuah cabang PKR Negeri Sembilan untuk mengadakan ceramah di Rantau, Negeri Sembilan semalam dihalang oleh sekumpulan lelaki bersenj...
-
KUCHING 15 APRIL : Kurang 24 jam sebelum hari pembuangan undi pilihan raya negeri Sarawak, kempen mega akhir Pakatan Rakyat khususnya oleh K...
-
-
Umi Hafilda cabar Baginda bagi tahu di mana letaknya 'birth mark' di tubuhnya
Paling Popular
-
Dibawah ini ialah proxy yang korang perlukan untuk melayari internet secara percuma tanpa sebarang bayaran. Kira kira 6 jam masa aku habis u...
-
-
Leaflets with photoshop photo of CM Lim Guan Eng, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and Datuk Halim Hussain are distributed at various places in Bali...
-
KUCHING: KEADILAN membantah sekerasnya-kerasnya tindakan Barisan Nasional yang menggunakan pengundi yang memegang kad pengenalan hijau bag...
-
Ucapan perbahasan menjunjung titah Yang Dipertuan Agong oleh Ketua Pembangkang yang disampaikan Ahli Parlimen Machang, Saifuddin Nasution h...
-
Seperti yang didedahkan sebelum ini, pengurusan NFC telah menubuhkan beberapa syarikat di Singapura bagi menjalankan perniagaan peribadi mil...
-
Utusan cuba sensasikan ‘kesalahan’ muslimat PAS KUALA LUMPUR, 11 Jan: “Apalah ‘kesilapan’ yang sedikit ini dibandingkan dengan dosa rasuah, ...
-
by Pencacai Semalaysia Kemelut SUK: Selangor menuju krisis perlembagaan, kata pakar Pelantikan kontroversi Datuk Mohd Khusrin Munawi se...
-
Ketika kumpulan pendesak Melayu, PERKASA mengagihkan “angpau bersampul putih” kepada masyarakat Cina sempena sambutan Tahun Baru, parti Isl...
-
by baginda® inilah akan berlaku jika tak buat sistem tender terbukak... suka hati nak mintak perkenan di jambatan perdana menteri ikut te...

