State media reports that Egyptian military leaders held an important meeting as protesters plan new demonstrations.
According to MENA, Hussein Tantawi, the chief commander and defence minister, chaired a meeting on Friday of the Armed Forces Supreme Council and it is expected that the military will issue an important statement to the people afterwards. Protesters enraged by Mubarak's refusal to resign streamed into Cairo's central square on Friday and promised to expand their push to drive the president out. The standoff posed a major test for the military as protesters stepped up calls for the army to intervene against Mubarak, a former air force commander and one of its own. Mubarak gave most of his powers to his vice-president but refused to resign or leave the country late on Thursday, hours after the military made moves that had all the markings of a coup. "We are waiting for a strong reaction from the army to Mubarak's speech," said Mohammed Mustapha, a protest spokesman. He said "huge numbers" of protesters were expected on Friday. Pressure mounting Organisers said protesters were already camped outside the presidential palace and buildings housing the cabinet, parliament and state TV. They planned rallies at six separate protest locations, in addition to Tahrir Square, the centre of the mass rallies that began on January 25. "We are going to camp everywhere to put more pressure on the regime," said Abdel-Rahman Samir, an organiser. Prominent reform advocate Mohamed ElBaradei, whose supporters were among the organisers of the 18-day-old wave of protests, warned in a Twitter message that "Egypt will explode". "The army must save the country now," the Nobel Peace laureate said. "I call on the Egyptian army to immediately interfere to rescue Egypt. The credibility of the army is on the line." Protesters' hopes that Mubarak would resign had been raised on Thursday when a council of the military's top generals announced it had stepped in to secure the country, and a senior commander told protesters in Tahrir Square that all their demands would soon be met. Hints of rift The military's Supreme Council said earlier on state TV that it was in permanent session, a status that it takes only in times of war. It said it was exploring "what measures and arrangements could be made to safeguard the nation, its achievements and the ambitions of its great people." That suggested Tantawi and his generals were in charge of the country. The statement was labelled "Communique No. 1," language that also suggests a military coup. State TV showed Tantawi chairing the council with around two dozen top stern-faced army officers seated around a table. Mubarak and Vice-President Omar Suleiman, a former army general and intelligence chief named to his post after the protests erupted, were not present, the strongest indication during the day of a rift. |
Friday, February 11, 2011
Egypt military to issue statement
TOP Ten Minggu INI
-
Ucapan perbahasan menjunjung titah Yang Dipertuan Agong oleh Ketua Pembangkang yang disampaikan Ahli Parlimen Machang, Saifuddin Nasution h...
-
1. Bulu kening - Menurut Bukhari, Rasullulah melaknat perempuan yang mencukur atau menipiskan bulu kening atau meminta supaya dicukurkan bul...
-
[By Our Guest Writer from Asian Tatler Magazine] Mixing business with partying – an example for Sarawak’s womanhood?
-
A hli Parlimen Teluk Intan M Manogaran (kiri) dari DAP dan aktivis MS Arjunan (kanan) yang mengadakan protes membantah novel kontroversial I...
-
Statement isteri Rosmah al gampangi
-
Dua hari ini aku cukup gembira kerana ingat simpan filem porno itu halal .. rupanya haram .. Wakakakak !!! Bangang !
-
WarkahDaily – Undi dah diberi tapi budi pulak tak dibalas. Memang haram jadah punya kerajaan BN.
-
KUCHING 15 APRIL : Kurang 24 jam sebelum hari pembuangan undi pilihan raya negeri Sarawak, kempen mega akhir Pakatan Rakyat khususnya oleh K...
-
Leaflets with photoshop photo of CM Lim Guan Eng, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and Datuk Halim Hussain are distributed at various places in Bali...
-
Paling Popular
-
Dibawah ini ialah proxy yang korang perlukan untuk melayari internet secara percuma tanpa sebarang bayaran. Kira kira 6 jam masa aku habis u...
-
-
Leaflets with photoshop photo of CM Lim Guan Eng, Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and Datuk Halim Hussain are distributed at various places in Bali...
-
KUCHING: KEADILAN membantah sekerasnya-kerasnya tindakan Barisan Nasional yang menggunakan pengundi yang memegang kad pengenalan hijau bag...
-
Ucapan perbahasan menjunjung titah Yang Dipertuan Agong oleh Ketua Pembangkang yang disampaikan Ahli Parlimen Machang, Saifuddin Nasution h...
-
Seperti yang didedahkan sebelum ini, pengurusan NFC telah menubuhkan beberapa syarikat di Singapura bagi menjalankan perniagaan peribadi mil...
-
Utusan cuba sensasikan ‘kesalahan’ muslimat PAS KUALA LUMPUR, 11 Jan: “Apalah ‘kesilapan’ yang sedikit ini dibandingkan dengan dosa rasuah, ...
-
by Pencacai Semalaysia Kemelut SUK: Selangor menuju krisis perlembagaan, kata pakar Pelantikan kontroversi Datuk Mohd Khusrin Munawi se...
-
Ketika kumpulan pendesak Melayu, PERKASA mengagihkan “angpau bersampul putih” kepada masyarakat Cina sempena sambutan Tahun Baru, parti Isl...
-
Ahli Parlimen Kuala Selangor Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad mencabar Kementerian Pengangkutan membenarkan beliau sendiri menyemak dokumen pembelian 38 s...
